If your door lock's batteries drain too quickly, there could be a few different reasons:
First, verify you're using the recommended batteries. Guardian recommends name brand such as Energizer, Duracell, or Panasonic alkaline batteries.
Ensure the batteries have not reached their expiration date.
The door lock motor may be worked overworked. To verify:
1. Open the door and lock the door lock. The dead bolt should fully extend with little resistance. Unlock the mechanism and close the door tightly.
2. Lock the door again. Check to ensure the lock mechanism is in the same orientation as earlier. You should not have resistance when locking the door here. If you encounter resistance, the door lock motor is being overworked and causing the batteries to drain faster. Contact us at 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328) to schedule a technician to assist with adjusting your lock.
To add a new user code for your smart lock, please follow the below steps:
1. Log into MyGuardianHome.com.
2. Click the Users link in the left-hand menu.
3. Click +ADD NEW USER.
4. Fill in the new user’s first and last name, and click Next.
5. Enter a 4-digit code for the user.
6. Toggle the switch next to your lock. It will be blue when it is active.
7. Click Next.
To add an email or phone number to the user, click Contact Info.
1. Choose Email or Text and fill in the information as required.
2. Click Save.
Please note, it may take up to 10 minutes to sync your new code.
Your door lock could be in malfunction for several reasons. To determine the issue, try these steps:
1. Change batteries. The most common reason a door lock goes into malfunction is because the batteries have died. Make sure you lock has fresh batteries, and that the batteries are in the correct orientation.
Watch this video to learn how to change the batteries in your smart door lock:
2. Determine if you have moved any Z-Wave devices recently. If so, please move that device back to its original location and see if that resolves the problem.
If you’ve tried to the above steps and are still having trouble, please give us a call at 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328) for further assistance.
Our Kwikset smart door locks use an LED guide to indicate lock status. To determine if your lock is a Kwikset lock, look for the brand name look on the number pad. It should say “Kwikset” near the keyhole.
Here’s what the colors mean:
A green light means it is unlocked.
An amber or orange-colored light means it is locked.
A red light means the device has a low battery.
IMPORTANT: If your lock is flashing red, we recommend changing the batteries as soon as possible. If the batteries die completely, you will not be able to unlock the door using your keypad outside or via the Guardian app.
To learn how to change your smart lock batteries, watch this short instructional video.
If your lock is not a Kwikset, please check the manufacturer’s owner manual for more information.
Our Kwikset smart door locks have a “SmartKey” feature allowing you to re-key your door lock in a few simple steps. To determine if your lock is a Kwikset lock, look for the brand name on the number pad. It should say “Kwikset” near the keyhole. If your lock is not a Kwikset, please check the manufacturer’s manual for more information.
To re-key your Kwikset door lock using the SmartKey feature, please follow the instructions below. You will need:
The current key. Please note, the SmartKey feature will only work if you have the key that currently unlocks the door. If you don’t have the key, you will need to contact a locksmith to properly re-key your door lock.
SmartKey tool. Please contact us at 1.800.PROTECT if you do not have this tool. We’ll be happy to send you one!
The new key.
Ok, let's do this.
1. Insert the key that currently operates the lock and rotate it 90 degreed clockwise. Leave the key in the lock.
2. Insert the SmartKey tool fully into the SmartKey hole (this is a small opening near the keyhole of the lock.) Then remove both the SmartKey tool and the current key.
3. Fully insert the new key and rotate the lock 180 degrees counterclockwise.
4. Rotate the new key 90 degrees clockwise back to the starting position, and then remove it. Now your lock is new re-keyed, and the old key will no longer work.
We’re sorry to hear you’re having trouble unlocking your door. To troubleshoot your issue, please try the steps below:
1. Check if pushing the door while unlocking allows the door to unlock.
2. If the door unlocks from the Guardian app but not the keypad on the lock, make sure you’re using the correct code and sequence.
3. Check if the lock is showing in malfunction, low battery, or any other status in your Guardian app. If the lock is in malfunction, check your recent activity in the Guardian app for any low battery warnings. If a low battery is found, replacing the batteries should resolve the issue.
4. Check if the door locks and unlocks smoothly by physically locking it at the door by hand.
5. Check if the door locks and unlocks smoothly when the door is open. Still having trouble? Please contact Guardian Protection at 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328) for further assistance.
If the keypad of your smart lock isn’t working, you may need to replace the batteries.
Changed the batteries and still having trouble? We may need to inspect your lock and make repairs. To schedule a service visit with a Guardian technician, give us a call at 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328). If a specific code on your lock is not working — but you have other codes that are working — please review the instructions hereto make sure your code was set up properly.
This may be due to the type of batteries you are using. Ensure you’re using high-quality, name-brand (e.g., Energizer, Duracell, or Panasonic), alkaline batteries.
If you’re using the correct batteries, next make sure the deadbolt extends properly. Changes in temperature and humidity may cause some doors to become misaligned, leading to the deadbolt not extending smoothly into the strike hole. This forces the motor in the lock to work harder, which drains the batteries faster. Adjust the strike plate (or lock, if possible) so it allows the deadbolt to extend smoothly.
Still having trouble? Give us a call at 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328) for further assistance.
This may be an indicator that the deadbolt is unable to extend (or retract) fully. To check if this is the case, follow these steps:
1. Use the Guardian app or the number pad on the lock to lock the door.
2. Check the orientation of the deadbolt handle.
3. Unlock the door.
4. Open the door and lock it again while the door is open.
5. Check the orientation of the deadbolt handle again.
6. If the lock did not fully extend, make sure the door frame slot for the deadbolt is large enough for the deadbolt.
Still need help? Give us a call at 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328) for further assistance.
Check to ensure the correct code is being used on the door lock and that door lock access was given to the code. Here’s how to check if you have the correct code using the Guardian app:
1. Tap on the menu in the top left.
2. Tap Users.
3. Tap on the user you would like to check the code for. The code should show in the center of the page.
To ensure the door lock has access to this code and that they are in sync:
1. Tap on Locks.
2. Ensure the lock toggle switch is to the right/enabled.
3. Tap on Save.
If you’re using the correct code, and the lock has been given access to the code, please contact Guardian Protection at 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328) for further assistance.