Frequently asked questions
We’re sorry to hear you’re having trouble unlocking your door. To troubleshoot your issue, please try the steps below:
1. Check if pushing the door while unlocking allows the door to unlock.
2. If the door unlocks from the Guardian app but not the keypad on the lock, make sure you’re using the correct code and sequence.
3. Check if the lock is showing in malfunction, low battery, or any other status in your Guardian app. If the lock is in malfunction, check your recent activity in the Guardian app for any low battery warnings. If a low battery is found, replacing the batteries should resolve the issue.
4. Check if the door locks and unlocks smoothly by physically locking it at the door by hand.
5. Check if the door locks and unlocks smoothly when the door is open. Still having trouble? Please contact Guardian Protection at 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328) for further assistance.
To add a new user code for your smart lock, please follow the below steps:
1. Log into MyGuardianHome.com.
2. Click the Users link in the left-hand menu.
3. Click +ADD NEW USER.
4. Fill in the new user’s first and last name, and click Next.
5. Enter a 4-digit code for the user.
6. Toggle the switch next to your lock. It will be blue when it is active.
7. Click Next.
To add an email or phone number to the user, click Contact Info.
1. Choose Email or Text and fill in the information as required.
2. Click Save.
Please note, it may take up to 10 minutes to sync your new code.
To change the batteries in your smart door lock, check out this quick instructional video.
You will need:
- Allen key tool
- Phillips head screwdriver
- 4 AA batteries
If you’re not able to access the video above, please follow these steps:
1. Locate the door lock with the low battery.
2. Depending on your lock’s make and model, locate and remove the screws. The screws are typically located on the indoor side of the door lock, but they may be on both sides.
3. Pull the cover away from the door.
4. The battery pack is located at the top of the module. Pull up on the pack to expose the batteries.
5. Change the batteries and place the pack back in the door. Please make sure the arrow labeled “Door” is facing the door.
6. Reverse the above steps to replace the cover.
Our Kwikset smart door locks have a “SmartKey” feature allowing you to re-key your door lock in a few simple steps. To determine if your lock is a Kwikset lock, look for the brand name on the number pad. It should say “Kwikset” near the keyhole. If your lock is not a Kwikset, please check the manufacturer’s manual for more information.
To re-key your Kwikset door lock using the SmartKey feature, please follow the instructions below. You will need:
- The current key. Please note, the SmartKey feature will only work if you have the key that currently unlocks the door. If you don’t have the key, you will need to contact a locksmith to properly re-key your door lock.
- SmartKey tool. Please contact us at 1.800.PROTECT if you do not have this tool. We’ll be happy to send you one!
- The new key.
Ok, let’s do this.
1. Insert the key that currently operates the lock and rotate it 90 degreed clockwise. Leave the key in the lock.
2. Insert the SmartKey tool fully into the SmartKey hole (this is a small opening near the keyhole of the lock.) Then remove both the SmartKey tool and the current key.
3. Fully insert the new key and rotate the lock 180 degrees counterclockwise.
4. Rotate the new key 90 degrees clockwise back to the starting position, and then remove it. Now your lock is new re-keyed, and the old key will no longer work.
Controlling who can access your front door is crucial, so we’ve made making changes to user codes easy! Log into MyGuardianHome.com and follow these steps:
1. Click the Users link on the left-hand menu.
2. Click the user you wish to edit.
To edit the user code:
1. Click the current code that is shown under the user’s name.
2. Enter a new 4-digit code.
3. Click Save.
To delete the user code:
1. Click Delete.
2. Click to confirm the code should be deleted.
To add an email or phone number to the user:
1. Click Contact Info.
2. Choose Email or Text and fill in the information as required.
3. Click Save.
How to replace the batteries
Watch a step-by-step video for replacing the batteries in your Smart Lock.
Before you start, make sure your system is disarmed and in Test Mode.