Our Kwikset smart door locks have a “SmartKey” feature allowing you to re-key your door lock in a few simple steps. To determine if your lock is a Kwikset lock, look for the brand name on the number pad. It should say “Kwikset” near the keyhole. If your lock is not a Kwikset, please check the manufacturer’s manual for more information.
To re-key your Kwikset door lock using the SmartKey feature, please follow the instructions below. You will need:
- The current key. Please note, the SmartKey feature will only work if you have the key that currently unlocks the door. If you don’t have the key, you will need to contact a locksmith to properly re-key your door lock.
- SmartKey tool. Please contact us at 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328) if you do not have this tool. We’ll be happy to send you one!
- The new key.
To re-key your smart lock:
1. Insert the key that currently operates the lock and rotate it 90 degreed clockwise. Leave the key in the lock.
2. Insert the SmartKey tool fully into the SmartKey hole (this is a small opening near the keyhole of the lock.) Then remove both the SmartKey tool and the current key.
3. Fully insert the new key and rotate the lock 180 degrees counterclockwise.
4. Rotate the new key 90 degrees clockwise back to the starting position, and then remove it. Now your lock is new re-keyed, and the old key will no longer work.