Our parents love and care for us throughout our lives. But naturally, the time comes when they need us to care for them.
As Mom and Dad age, their safety can become one more worry that keeps us up at night. And sleepless nights may just be the start of it. Anyone who has ever acted as a family caregiver — or someone who provides unpaid care to a family member, friend, or neighbor — knows it’s a big job. The Family Caregiver Alliance estimates that 44 million Americans provide 37 billion hours of care each year for adult family members and friends.
Whether it’s your mother or father, or just a dear family friend, caregiving is rewarding yet challenging work. What if you could give that special person in your life a gift that could make things easier for both of you?
That’s exactly why we recommend giving your aging parents the gift of professionally monitored smart home security.
Could home security help my parents?
People of ages 65 and older are often targeted for crimes because they are perceived as as more vulnerable. A criminal may assume they are isolated, more trusting, and have declining physical and cognitive function.
According to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program, crimes committed against people in this age group are mostly property crimes, like fraud, theft, burglary, and vandalism.
Why give the gift of home security
Security might sound like a boring present at first, but remember, security isn’t just a couple sensors and a bulky keypad anymore.
Today, you have choices. You have the option to keep it very simple, with basic intrusion detection, but there are also tons of add-ons that serve up big benefits for anyone aging in place.
- 24/7 professional monitoring teams will alert the police, EMS, or fire department in case of an emergency.
- Emergency medical assistance options let users with health or mobility issues call for help at the push of a button.
- Indoor and outdoor video cameras and video doorbells with two-way talk lets users interact with guests without opening the door. Live video look-ins can reassure you that your folks are OK when you are away.
- Smart sensors can be placed on medicine cabinets and other important areas throughout the home, so you can receive alerts.
- Professionally monitored fire alarms and CO detectors help detect heat, smoke, and lethal gases.
- Home automation and energy solutions let users arm and disarm their security system, lock the door, turn off the lights, or adjust the temperature right from their smartphone or computer.
And as a bonus, this is a gift that gives two ways. Home security and automation can help things run a little smoother for anyone in your life who lives alone, has mobility issues, or just needs some peace of mind. And you can relax knowing that if they need help, it’s there.
The best security system for parents or seniors: Additional considerations
A few things to keep in mind if you’re considering a smart home security system for an elderly loved one:
1. Always put their privacy first. While there may be times when acting on the behalf of a senior is unavoidable, privacy and respect is the name of the game. Installing monitored devices without your parent’s knowledge or consent is unethical. Avoid positioning any devices where your mother or father should have a reasonable expectation of privacy, like bathrooms and changing areas. If you take the time to do some online research upfront, you’ll find out pretty quickly which home security providers don’t have a good reputation for protecting customer privacy.
2. Security does not equal healthcare. Security systems and home automation can make life easier and safer for someone with medical concerns, especially someone with mobility issues. But even the smartest home security system is not a substitute for regular health checkups and medical attention from professionals.
3. Find a security company who will collaborate. Because home security systems require some personalization, giving the gift of home security takes a little legwork. But don’t be discouraged! You’ll discover that reliable security companies are more than happy to work with you to find creative ways to make your present a reality.
Why choose Guardian security for your parents
A professionally installed and monitored home security system can be a true comfort for you, and a unique way to show someone you love how much they matter. If you’re considering giving your parents the gift of security, here are just a few reasons to consider Guardian:
- Award-winning, U.S.-based monitoring centers operate 24/7 to initiate a response to alarms in under 30 seconds.
- Professional installation takes all the legwork off your plate, and you can feel confident that everything was done right.
- Quality equipment to fit a variety of homes, lifestyles, and special needs.
- Our smoke and CO detectors are monitored around the clock, even when a security system is disarmed.
- Smart home technology options like video doorbells, smart thermostats, and automated lighting make life easier and more convenient.
- A number of smart video security options let you check in on loved ones from anywhere.
- Unexpected activity alerts can learn your parent’s routine and let you know when something is out of the ordinary.
- Our wearable medical alert buttons are perfect for senior citizens. You can choose to have our monitoring center notify you and/or emergency first responders if something goes wrong.
- Free mobile app let you control system and home automation from a smartphone.
Protect your parents with home security
Parents spend most of their lives worrying about their children. Give them one less thing to worry about this year.
Check out our Protect My Parents security package, expertly designed for seniors aging in place.
Ready to talk now? Call 1.800.PROTECT (1.800.776.8328) or fill out a form on our website to find out how our folks can help keep your folks safe.
While you’re at it, give Mom and Dad a call, too.